Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Not bad at all

So, I've officially been cloth diapering Isaac for almost two weeks. We still use disposables on the go and at night, but other than that he's in cloth. Hopefully this move has not come as a total shock {but it's ok if you think I'm crazy. You would definitely not be the first.}. With my super sleuthing to find the most thrifty deals around, this was bound to happen. I was tired of paying between $16-20 for a box of diapers - and each time Isaac goes up a size, there are less diapers in the box!

By going to cloth {I bought one-size diapers - they fit kids 7-35 lbs}, I calculate that it has already saved us around $4 worth of disposables {I realize I also have to work to pay off the intial cost of the cloth dipes, but this should be no problem!}. I thought I was going to be grossed out by having to clean up after them, but the new age cloth diapers are SUPER easy - no pins, no folding {if you want to get started, I highly recommend Smartipants. I've tried out some others, and these are still by far the favorite!}. Sure, I have to dump poo in the toilet, but that's basically it. The liners that I stuff them with come out in the wash, so I don't have to touch them when they are dirty {some of them DO require you to touch dirty liners, but my fave dipes, Smartipants, don't!}. I simply stuff the liners back in when they are washed and dried, and then put the diapers back on Isaac. Like washable disposables. And, you can get them in colors and prints!

When I first thought about cloth diapering, I admit it was intimidating, scary even {and the up-front cost is probably the scariest thing. Do not fear - you can find cheap, and reliable, cloth diapers by keeping your eye out for sales, buying homemade, or joining sites like this one. I have purchased all ten of Isaac's diapers for less than $100. That includes tax and shipping charges.}. I didn't know if I could do it. But then I started researching it and realized there are a lot of people who ARE doing it. Young mothers like me. That encouraged me enough to buy a three pack to try out. After three days in cloth, it was very clear how simple and easy it was going to be, so I'm now up to six cloth diapers with four more on the way. At first, I tried to avoid the poop, putting disposables on him around his pooping time. Well, wouldn't you know, babies don't do what you want them to. Isaac {and his intestines} worked with me for days one and two. I was confident I could always avoid poops after getting through day two. Day three, I had poop in four of my six diapers. Bah.

Check out Isaac in his fluff. I can't wait for my new diapers to arrive {hooray for fluffy mail!}.

No comments: