Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Impulse buyer

Isaac has reached such a fun age that I'm now the mom that I told myself I wouldn't become - I buy him SO MANY TOYS! I can't help it really. We walk through the toy aisle in a store, he squeals or laughs in delight at something, we play with it for five minutes, and then it ends up at our house. I'm a HUGE sucker for books, but the most disturbing part about all of this, is that I'm buying him the noise-making toys that drive me crazy!

Granted, a couple of them I truly think were good purchases. Example - he has really outgrown a lot of his baby-ish toys and is into pulling himself up, standing, and working on his fine motor skills, so we purchased the Leap Frog Learn and Groove Musical Table. Best thing ever. He loves it! It also works on his self-feeding as we hide some cheerios or puffs in the little compartment, so he has to open the door to get to them.

Today, I purchased the old classic Chatter Telephone {which provided a good half hour of entertainment when we got home} and a 4-wheeler that we plan to give him for some kind of future special occasion {like a birthday, but I doubt we make it to October!}. I blame Grandpa for the 4-wheeler purchase. I mean really, the kid is obsessed with any kind of motorized vehicle of that genre - tractors, skid loaders, 4-wheelers, etc.- because Grandpa loves taking him for rides {let's not worry about all those warning stickers about passengers on these things!}, and because Grandpa takes Isaac for rides, Isaac is obsessed with Grandpa too. See how the cycle continues?

Could it be that I really just have no control over the toy-buying impulse? Hopefully once he can ASK for the toy, I'll be able to be the mean mom that I want to be and say, "no." I'm not going to bet on it, but I sure don't want a bratty kid who gets everything he wants either. Ah, wish me luck. Motherhood is so trying, but I wouldn't trade it for anything {although a regular full night of sleep would be nice!}.

No comments: