Monday, July 27, 2009

Missing

I wanted to photo-journal about our weekend, but left my camera at my parent's house today. So - I'll be getting back to you on this one. Probably tomorrow.

In the meantime, enjoy a nice recipe {Thanks Tara!}.

Strawberry Rhubarb Cake

1 bag frozen strawberries-thawed and mashed
3c. diced rhubarb {I used a bag of frozen raspberries instead}
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1c. sugar
1/2 c. cornstarch
1 box white cake mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 pan. Heat fruit and lemon juice in pan for 5 min. Add sugar and cornstarch; bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and cool. Prepare cake batter according to box.
In pan pour 1/2 cake mix, then fruit mix, then other 1/2 of cake.
Bake 40-45min.

One question - how did you get your fruit to stay in the middle? I made this tonight, and all of my fruit sank to the bottom so the cake baked up on top with none on the bottom. If it matters, I added the fruit when it was still warm, and I dumped straight from the pan onto the batter. :) It still tasted fabulous though. :)

2 comments:

MsAmanda said...

I think I've read that coating the berries with flour helps suspend them and keep them from falling to the bottom. I have not tried it however...

chadwil10 said...

Yes, I did let the fruit cool a bit before putting it on the batter (read the recipe Becky ;))
I'm glad you enjoyed it! What fruit did you use?

Tara