Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stuff for baby

For the past month or so, I have been on a search for things for baby. In fact, last week, I was feeling a little guilty that I still hadn't gotten anything for our little one. I ended up finding some neutral sleep and plays on clearance at Target, so I bought those, even though I knew that's not what I really wanted. What I really wanted was a stuffed animal or a blanket.

I know I've mentioned before that I'm a little freaked out about becoming a mom, but if Blake and I do half as good of a job as our parents did, then I think our kids will be just fine...at least I hope so. So, part of my first step to being a mom was trying to find something for our child. My mom has readily admitted to already having bought Christmas gifts for Baby Dubs. I know that I shouldn't be surprised though, because she has closets full of gifts for our niece, Jessi, for any of her upcoming birthdays (ages 3,4,5,6...probably more), Christmases, and other gifts "just because Grandma felt like it."

We haven't gotten much for baby ourselves, or really from anyone at all. I'm not expecting anything really, but I keep thinking that I have a little under five months to get everything for baby, and I just don't know when I'm going to get everything. I even have a fear that since there are so many pregnant people around me, a baby shower will be out of the question for me {I know, it's absurd....probably just the hormones talking...} But, we have gotten a few things. Janelle gave us some of her books {which have been so helpful!}, a Nebraska Huskers onesie {Blake's fave}, a pacifier clip, and an ear bulb. A very nice little package, indeed. In fact, she gave me that little package about 5 weeks ago. Maybe that's what spurred my desire to find something for baby......

Since I have not had any luck on my search, I nearly broke out in tears today when Wendy surprised me with a package. Awhile ago, she had given me some Tummy Butter to help prevent those stretch marks {though the more I read, the more I learn they are, sadly, unpreventable}, but today's package included some Swaddlers {which I have been spending a lot of time looking at and admiring, and really just wondering if they work}, and a TEDDY BEAR! How did she know that my heart's desire was to find a soft stuffed animal for my child? Maybe she just knew because we've been friends for so long? It was perfect timing for what I've wanted for the past month. Sure, I never dedicated a whole day to finding one, but I had been looking when I was shopping, and I wasn't finding anything. I had practically given up. Even looking at her gift now makes me a little misty-eyed. I love it {and these hormones that make me cry faster than you can snap your fingers!}.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

reading this entry makes me laugh because i was in panic mode for the whole nine months because I was afraid we wouldn't have crib sheets for the boys. OMG, this brings back memories!

and don't worry, that little bag wasn't your real gift. As it gets closer to birth day, post your wish list :-)

Anonymous said...

Trust me - I was there too but everyone goes crazy when you have the baby and I got TONS at my baby shower! Don't forget me at that time - I would LOVE to spoil your little one with gifts! Go register at Target!

Anonymous said...

U go, Girlfriend!

Yet another sad try to get people to give you stuff. :-)