Thursday, August 23, 2007

Super not good at all!


It seems that all the hype lately has been around a "glorious" production called Superbad. Blake and I decided to see what the hype was all about, and while there were some laughs, I must admit that I was sorely disappointed.

I'm not saying the movie was not funny...to the pre-teen and relatively teenager audience in our theater, it was raucously funny! Some of them were nearly falling out of their chairs. To me, it was more raunchy and rude than funny. I will admit, I did have a couple moments of laugh out loud enjoyment. An attempt to be American Pie-esque that simply went too far overboard. I spent most of the movie asking myself what kind of an example it was setting to the young people in the audience. In a world full of teenagers who treat alcohol and sex as some sort of gods, this movie will only make them feel that what they are doing is justified, or in the very least, it will make them feel cool for participating in such activities.

Sure, there was a "good guy" and a lesson of friendship tied into it, but generally, it made light of underage drinking, getting away with underage drinking, and sex. What has become of our children? More and more, I hear of younger and younger children drinking, doing drugs, and having sex. Most recently, I learned of an 8th grader that was sexually active and drinking on a regular basis with her friends. When I was 13, I was still learning about the changes my body was going through, trying to decide how to wear my very awkward hair, and looking forward to getting my permit!

I'm sorry Superbad, you get a super THUMBS DOWN from me. As far as I'm concerned, I went for the popcorn and the sour patch kids. :)

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

michelle said...

Wow that's so nice to hear. There are so many movies that I've watched and I HATE them because there's no depth AT ALL and the humor is so shallow. But everyone else seems to love them and think they are SO funny and every time and hear someone talk about one of those movies and how good it was...idk even know..I'm just flabbergasted! I feel sorry for America's teenagers that watch that and think that's how it should be...