Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Name Game

My parents got a new dog. Right now, they are calling it YOSHI. As it is another Sheltie, I can see no other name for it but Teddy. This would be Teddy 4. All of the Teddy's were farm dogs. Here's the overview for those who are not familiar with the Teddy tradition:

Teddy: The original. We had him for 13 years. He was awesome.

Teddy 2: You may remember this post I wrote about his passing. We were so sad. Another great farm dog.

Teddy 3: Unfortunately, we never had much time to bond with this little one. He ended up running away, and with the long winter, he didn't make it. :(

Of course, when I found out they were calling this little Sheltie YOSHI, I almost went into panic mode. How could they do away with TEDDY?! Blake and I went and visited the little guy tonight. He's definitely playful, fun, cute, and will make a great farm dog. Apparently, my parents have considered roaming away from the Teddy tradition because the last one didn't work out as well as the others. However, all of us were calling this puppy "Teddy" throughout the evening. I think YOSHI is not a good name, so Blake and I offered up Winston as an alternative if they want to go with anything but Teddy.

Here's where you come in blog readers: I told my parents I would put up a poll on my blog to see what you think about the names. Please vote! If you have another suggestion, leave a comment. :) I would not expect you to vote blindly, so there are a couple of pictures below.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I say, it's their dog, let them pick whatever name they please. And I don't know if "Teddy" is really a tradition so much as what's been done the last couple times, lest we forget Ricky and Mickey and Macy and Annie.

Yoshi all the way! Time for a new generation of Shelties whose names end in an "ee" sound.

Becky said...

Macy and Annie were girls. They don't count.

Ricky and Mickey were of the same generation. The "Teddy" tradition didn't start until after Ricky was stolen. Mickey still existed at this point.

I also told them they could name it what they want, but they weren't entirely sold on the "YOSHI" name if hadn't been for BEN saying how awesome it was. Go figure. :)

Can you imagine dad yelling, "Yoshi! Sick em!" I think not.

Dr. Blake said...

I totally vote Teddy.

I don't know if it is because I have not experienced anything other than Teddy, but I can't picture it any other way. Teddy and Teddy II were GREAT dogs. As for Teddy III, I never really thought we should have gone with that dog. Any dog that is given the name Teddy should consider itself very lucky to be part of that legacy.

Besides naming a dog after a great previous dog is like a tribute. Naming a dog after a lizard that eats apples and is ridden by an Italian plumber tells you what?

Unknown said...

PLEASE not Winston! This dog looks nothing like a pack of cigarettes! :)

I totally vote for something other than Teddy, though, too. Not necessarily Yoshi (though I don't mind that name), but I think it'd be nice to be able to refer to the dog by name without having to tack a number after it to know which particular dog you're talking about. Plus, Roman numerals get crazy after a while ;) (e.g., "Remember Teddy XXXVII?? What a funny dog!")

Blake, if you want to name it after a great previous dog, how about Lassie or Zip or Shep or Rin Tin Tin (ok, maybe not - I REALLY can't see Dad using that one! LOL) or something? :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_dogs
Or maybe we should resurrect SAMMY!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Blake. The first thing I thought of with the name Yoshi was Mario Brothers and the puppy is way to cute to be compared to the green lizard. I would say Teddy as well! Hi Becky! Hope things are going great. I move to Texas in a week so I should have new pictures to put up once I get settled in hopefully!