Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Scatterbrained barfly

This is what I have become over the weekend. With the very important funeral getting thrown into the mix, I forgot a few minor details for the ordination, which I only realized at choir rehearsal tonight! They are easily fixed, but I'm wondering if my weekend had anything to do with it...

For the past three nights, I could've been found in the same pub.

Night one: A nice get-together with Nick and Janelle whom I haven't seen in ages. It was a nice evening, and I even made friends with some foreigners; Bernard from Ireland, Bill from South Africa, Fred from Canada, and Scott from New Zealand. Bill and Fred work together in Canada, Bernard and Scott in Saudi Arabia. They were in town looking to buy some cows, which is an idea my dad has been entertaining since I told him of my new friends. By the end of the evening, I was in the middle of the group, and enjoying multiple free drinks, and learning all about them. Fred left me with his business card with instructions to e-mail him so that he could e-mail me his photos from the evening.

Night two: After playing at a concert, it was late and I was hungry. What is open late on a Sunday night in a small town and serves food? The pub. Once again, Nick and Janelle joined me. Fr. Loecke was there letting loose after some long hours at Fr. Petty's wake service. He found plenty of time to give me a hard time about making sure everything was perfect for the funeral, as though I wasn't already nervous!

Night three: I did not intend to go out on a Monday night. But, my foreign friends wanted to hang out again before they left. Really, how often do I get phone calls from foreigners to hang out? I finished up my work and joined them for "one drink." Meredith joined us, though she was a little skeptical of how much fun a bunch of middle-aged foreigners (minus young Scott) could be. In the end, she didn't go home when she said she was going to, we had to walk back to her house, we all had fun, and neither of us paid for a single drink. There were even dueling harmonicas, a result of the local Irish variety fest being in town. What an unexpected evening. :)

See? Scatterbrained Barfly. That is me. I officially declare that I drop the title tomorrow.

The one thing that could have made my weekend better is if Blake could have been here. He would have loved every moment. Days until Blake is home: 6

4 comments:

Janelle said...

ah, but it was a good time, wasn't it?

Jennifer said...

I don't think you are a barfly. I think you are a stareyflobber.

Unknown said...

"I think you are a stareyflobber." ROFL!!!! Poochie, that is about the funniest thing I have ever heard you say!!

Jennifer said...

haha! Lola, do you know the back story on the "stareyflobber" bit? When Becky was in first grade, she was sitting on the swings after school (waiting for mom and dad no doubt)and watching the girls playing across the street (I believe). They then interpreted her watching as staring and proceeded to call her a stareyflobber. LOL!!

P.S. Becky, email this comment to Lola just in case she's not checking this comment section anymore.