Sunday, January 27, 2008

Trying something new

For the past three weeks, I have been planning our dinners {supper} on Sunday afternoons. I like it for the following reasons:

1. Saves money on groceries because I only buy what I need for the week
2. I know approximately how much time it takes to make a dish, so it saves time
3. I'm able to plan for more healthy and balanced meals
4. It prevents us from eating out so much, or reaching for the oh-so-convenient frozen pizza
5. I can tell mid-week dinner guests the menu for the evening days in advance
6. It encourages me to try out new recipes. Once it's on my menu for the week, I find myself more determined than ever to try them out. This also means...variety!

I am not home every night because of rehearsals, obligations with the musical, meetings, etc., so I plan meals for the nights I know I will be available to cook. This means I get to make nice meals 3-4 nights a week, which allows for a few extra days of cleaning up our leftovers. It feels so great to know that we're not wasting food {even though getting Blake to eat leftovers is one of the biggest challenges in the world!}.

2 comments:

Kari Krogman said...

So what are your meals for this week? What night should we all come over :)

Jennifer said...

Too bad Blake doesn't like leftovers, otherwise my approach would work - cook one meal on Sunday and eat it all week long. I think Brian does the same thing now. It's the best.