Sunday, January 6, 2008

Work in progress

Putting our new bookcase together was an interesting project. As you can imagine, it was one of your typical store-bought items, held together with screws {Allen wrench style}, and wooden dowels. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the project. It seemed as though everything would work, and then we ran out of the wooden dowels. It wasn't our fault. IKEA just didn't include enough in the packaging. Which, is sort of a sour point. I suppose if I was going to pay that amount of money knowing I wouldn't have all the materials necessary to assemble my product, I might have approached it a bit differently. But, there we sat with a 2/3 completed bookshelf and only 9 dowels short of a finished product. Luckily, wooden dowels can be purchased at your local hardware store {but only in packs of 36 here}. Since we have an excess of wooden dowels, I'm hoping I can find some other project for their use. That was $2.13 I was hoping we wouldn't have to spend. However, despite that little bump in the road, the bookshelf is still so awesome.

As promised, some pictures of our wonderful new bookcase {it's so pretty!}, and the mess that ensued. It's still a work in progress, as we are slowly going through our boxes to try to find things to put here {hence the ridiculously messy room!}. There's a lot more space than we had anticipated, but hopefully it will encourage the growth of our book collection. I also want to spice it up with some of our decor items and some candid photos. We'll see what we come up with.

The mess. Can you tell where we were sitting?

3 comments:

Janelle said...

the room may be a mess but your bookcase looks uber-organized, i love it!

Jennifer said...

What were the dimensions of the bookshelf box? I'm wondering if it would fit in my car with the back seats folded down.

Anonymous said...

It comes in three different boxes. Box one is the biggest, and here are the dimensions:
Width:16 1/8"
Height:12 7/8"
Length:73 5/8"

FYI: We measured for length in my car with the seats down, and it was going to be too short. Maybe if you tie the trunk down. We ended up taking Mom and Dad's van. Talk about riding in luxury. WOOP!